It is incredibly disheartening to see that the number of suicide attempts has risen 61.7% over the course of six years from 2016 in Malaysia, according to the data given to NST.
Most of these cases involve adult men aged 19 to 40.
The data shows that 193 people attempted suicide in 2016 whereas 312 people attempted suicide in 2021.
Of the 312 cases reported, 67.9% or 212 were male.
The reasons cited for the attempts are:
- emotional pressure (88 cases or 28.2 per cent)
- mental illness (27 or 8.7 per cent)
- financial constraints (22 or 7.1 per cent)
- drug abuse (13 or 4.2 per cent)
- illness (seven or 2.1 per cent)
- other reasons (155 or 49.7 per cent)
Majority of the cases in 2021 were among the Malay community (84 cases or 26.9 per cent), followed by Chinese (71 or 22.8 per cent), Indian (66 or 21.2 per cent).
JUICE has had many open conversations regarding mental health in the wake of the…